• Meetings Wednesdays after school in room 951!

District Name Change?

The Corona-Norco Unified School District has been discussing changing the district's name to incorporate the city of Eastvale.

Photo taken from the CNUSD official website.

Tiana A. Williams, Sports Editor

The Corona-Norco Unified School District may not be Corona-Norco for long. The idea to change the district’s name came about earlier this year in February at an important  District Board Meeting. The members of the board were contemplating switching the district’s name to Corona-Norco-Eastvale Unified School District.

Corona-Norco received its name back in the early 1970’s when the Norco Chamber of Commerce President began ‘campaigning’ for Norco to be ‘put on the map.’ Initially named the Corona District, on July 1, 1970, the new name became the Corona-Norco Unified School District (CNUSD).

For forty-five years, the district has commonly been referred to as CNUSD, composing of schools in Corona, Norco, and in recent years Eastvale with the arrival of Eleanor Roosevelt High School, Riverheights Intermediate School, and VanderMolen Elementary School. It was not until recently did the question of renaming the district come about, especially with the growing population of students and the issue of 25% of our district’s students residing in Eastvale.

All members of the district board are supportive with moving forward with this name change. “We strive to be prudent in this process,” says superintendent Michael H. Lin, as he explains that the process of considering a name change also requires consideration of other factors as well. The identity of the students as well as geography and location are factors that also have to be taken into account.