• Meetings Wednesdays after school in room 951!

Why Block Scheduling?

Was it really the best solution?

Courtesy of Sunshine News

Courtesy of Sunshine News

Natasha Kohli, Editor in Chief

Block scheduling is coming to Centennial very soon, as this is the last week using the regular scheduling system. On April 13th, Centennial will start having 2 hour long periods to accommodate for CAASP testing. More on the specifics of block scheduling can be found at our Block Scheduling Article.

But was block scheduling the best solution to Centennial’s testing problem? Juniors have to test in the morning, which explains the reverse block scheduling. However, students at Centennial came into the 2014-2015 school year thinking there would be no schedule change. It could seriously affect some of the student lives with regards to late arrival and early dismissal. Some students decide to take those free periods due to family obligations or even jobs after school. What happens during the 5 weeks of block scheduling when they are unable to fulfill those duties? Half the days start with 2nd period and the other half end with 5th period. When asking the front office about this controversy, they stated, “you signed up for a period, not a time”. Therefore, during block scheduling, students no longer get late arrival and early dismissal. They just get no 1st or 6th period.

Students aren’t the only members on campus affected by this change in scheduling. Some teachers also arranged their periods so that they could meet other responsibilities. Ms. Davis, for example, teaches a 0 period T.O.K class just so she can have a free 5th and 6th period to pick her daughter up from school. When block scheduling is reversed, the day will end in either 1st or 2nd period, making it impossible for Ms. Davis to pick her kids up.

Recently around the nation, students have started to protest standardized testing, too. In November, 12th graders at Boulder High School in Colorado opted out of their test and in early March in New Mexico, hundreds of students protested the PARCC test. Students protesting standardized testing is happening. How will people who oppose Centennial’s new block scheduling being designed for just testing react?