• Meetings Wednesdays after school in room 951!

Heavy Showers Damage Twenty-Seven Classrooms on Campus

Blake Torres, News Editor

California is currently suffering from one of the worst droughts in state history, and for many, the recent heavy rain storm came as a pleasant surprise. On Monday, September 17th, 2015 the Inland Empire received flash flood rains, causing  mild roof damage to twenty-seven classrooms within Centennial’s campus. The repairs required ranged from simple roof patches to ceiling tile replacements. The aftermath of the rain damage disrupted many classes in the affected rooms.

The water-related issue was narrowed down to problems which arose when faulty roof top air conditioning units were replaced around campus earlier this year. Mrs. Robinson, a teacher affected by the complications issued a statement via email:

“The [air conditioning unit] needed to be replaced, and I think that may have been the impetus to have the school evaluate all of the air conditioners. All of them were replaced around campus this year, and unfortunately, the company handling the matter did not seal the roofs when it replaced them.”

In many of the classrooms, waterlogged ceiling tiles fell from their own weight, exposing insulation and wiring. Other ceiling tiles were removed to drain water touching electrical lines. Specialized, dehumidifying fans were brought out and placed inside classrooms with excess water trapped in the ceilings. For the remainder of the week, these fans slowly pumped water from the ceiling to trashcans outside, where the water was later disposed of. This situation caused many students to be displaced to outdoor areas or the 800s GYM. Temporary work-stations were setup to accommodate the influx of students and allow them a comfortable means to work.

The dehumidifiers have since been removed from classes. A few weeks after the rain, the buildings have been completely fixed and cleaned out. The units have been properly sealed and except for water spots on ceiling tiles, no visible or permanent damage remains.